BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

I believe that...

God works at perfect times.
In times we never expect and at times we needed him most. Truly, God is alive.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Education in the Philippines: Looking Backwards and Looking Forward




source: http://joshweinstein.wordpress.com



While looking for a picture to inspire me from writing, I came across with this photo which I found at ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­ Josh Weinstein’s blog. It reminds me of my elementary days when I was in a far-flung school in Carranglan, Nueva Ecija (Central Luzon, Philippines). Still, I can clearly remember those cold mornings and hot afternoons when I, together with my four younger siblings, have to walk more than five to 10 kilometers to and from our nipa hut to the school regardless of the weather. Whether it’s raining or not, we have to go to school; whether our slipper is torn or new, we have to go to school.

During those times, I didn’t blame anyone for what was happening to me. I thought it was just normal to walk such distance to reach the school panting just to catch up with the singing of the national anthem. During rainy days, the small bruises on our knees caused by sharp grasses will turn red. Eventually, it will swell then a thick yellowish-white fluid will come out of it. It was painful especially when blood will come out too when we stumble from running. I did not complain, never.

At school, I never thought that there was something wrong in the very hot and noisy classroom due to large number of students in each class. I never asked for a ball to play during break times. Back then, I never saw a swing where I and my friends could laugh out loud while alternately swinging each other. Running in all the four corners of the school, sometimes we even went out of the school fences, is enough for us to say we are playing.

Looking at our teachers, I never thought that their salary is not enough for teaching us while they cannot teach their own children. Seeing the torn chalkboard, I never thought that someone should buy and replace it. I never had an idea that whiteboard already exists during those times or that there is an LCD projector where the whole lesson could be flashed including pictures and videos.

When I was sent to Maejo University, Chiang Mai, Thailand for my student teaching apprenticeship (at my parents’ and relatives’ expense), my eagerness to teach grew even more. I would like to tell the young ones that everything is not normal. They have to realize that something is going wrong in our country.

I am not totally blaming the government for the quality of education that the young generation, including me, is receiving. Perhaps, I could blame our parents but I will not put all the blame on them. Perhaps, I could blame the previous and present leaders but I could not put the blame on them all. Maybe everyone should be blamed. We were all responsible for the sufferings which are happening and will happen in the years to come if we will not prevent it. However, what is the point of blaming each other? Of pointing who is wrong and who is right? Maybe to identify which was wrong and what is still wrong should be better. And to propose solutions could be the best. But to test the proposed solutions through implementation could be the BESTEST (please include in your dictionary).

Now, let us identify some ironies happening surrounding us. While many of us are taking online courses abroad, many classes in the public schools in the Philippines are taking place under trees or dilapidated school buildings. It should have been given attention many years back, not just now.

While many of us are using computers to make our tasks easier, still in most classrooms in the rural areas, we will see students and teachers alike are using chalkboards. Sometimes, even pea-sized chalks are collected to be used when the teacher runs out of chalk.

While many of our fellow teachers, lawyers, doctors, engineers and businessmen are pursuing higher education in prestigious universities abroad, some students did not and will not even taste how comfortable it is to learn in a very conducive classroom. While some children are going to work instead of studying in exchange of their daily foods, scholarships are being given to University professors to pursue their studies abroad.
While the government is giving laptop computers to selected students, whom they say deserve it, many students cannot even afford to buy notebooks, pencil and pen, and bags. Worst, some are wearing slippers, not shoes.

0 comments: